July 28, 2020

Antelope Island

My heart is so full! This past weekend we took the hour drive to visit Antelope Island and it was definitely worth the drive. Driving onto the Island JT and I looked at each other and said, "OK, this is going to be good." Right away we were in awe by the water, the majestic mountains surrounding us and the general feel of the island inhabited by antelope and bison among other animals.
 The drive onto the Island

What we thought was going to be a quick hike on Buffalo Pointe turned out to be where we spend the bulk of our time. The views were stunning and the pictures don't do it justice. At the top you have a gorgeous view of the Great Salt Lake and the mountains were mirrored on the water. We then walked over to the end of the trail where we were met with tons of large red rocks perfect for climbing. While you may get nervous looking at the pictures I promise we were right there! The boys were troopers. I didn't carry enough water with us and it was brutally hot. However, I'm pretty sure they all felt like Rocky Balboa training to fight Ivan Drago so no one complained. I sure love raising boys. Life lends itself to much adventure.



















 We thought we would let Pace out of the carrier to stretch his legs a bit. Little did we know he, like his brothers, is a magnet for rock climbing. Little dude was everywhere and only wanted to be on top of the biggest rocks. Everything was stressful until we strapped him back in!









 Despite being in the desert Trip David finds a flower to give me. Let the treasure of these times never be lost on me.

 Who needs a picnic table when you have a bus :)

 After the long hike and a lunch break JT saw another trail he wanted to hike. We heard a resounding "no" from the group. We couldn't blame them because it truly was hot and they just hiked a decent amount. JT said, "so no one's going with me?" and we hear a sigh and then, "I will" come from this kid. Boy #2. The adventurer at heart and the leader of the pack for most of the day. He and JT went together and got to see a sight that the rest of us missed out on. May he always be up for a challenge.


 This guy was the littlest one who wasn't carried. He stuck with the big boys and I'm so proud of him.



Behind these shots was a mama who was a bit over the adventure for the day. I was hot, exhausted, and wasn't really up for carrying kids on my back anymore. However, this husband of mine was in his element. He saw a way to the water (which wasn't exactly a path) and off we went. I didn't complain much on the outside but I wasn't gracious on the inside. By the end of it I'm so glad I ventured out. We saw bison tracks got to see the edge of the water. Even though it was covered in bugs I'm glad we got to experience it. At the end of my life I don't want to say, "sure wish I had taken the adventure when I could have." Cheers to difficult hikes and pushing through.


 Found some bones!



Ended the evening watching the sunset from our porch. This day was one of my favorites.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So majestic and beautiful....Way to go guys. You're awesome.
Love and kisses. Mom and Dad

Grammy and Pappy Mike said...

Surreal shots, and what beautiful boys. They are growing up so fast! I love their smiles and boy caps and t-shirts and energy. Praise the Lord for such a wonderful family.

Parents looking so young and healthy and happy!! No Jumbo there umkay!
xoxox, Mom

Unknown said...

What an incredible day. One you will remember for the rest of your lives. Thank you for letting us stuck in NC come along! Love from the Welches! We love and miss you all! XOXO